ka ti ec up ca ke

Thanksgiving Weekend

thanksgivingweekend
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, even though we were moving.  My father-in-law flew here on Wednesday night to help us move.  Thursday we worked on packing and grouping our furniture in the living room to take out to the truck.  We ate burritos at our new house for Thanksgiving dinner.  It was so yummy!  On Friday, we packed a few more boxes and took apart beds while we waited to get our moving truck.  Luckily some people from our church were able to help us load and unload the truck.  We ate pizza (because it's a moving thing).  Saturday we worked on cleaning up our old house, and finding a new TV because our old one broke during the move.  Luckily, we found a good deal due to Black Friday deals or whatever.  We ate some milk chocolate mint chip caramel corn while we watched Star Trek (the movie by JJ Abrams).  On Sunday we went to church and drove to Gettysburg for the afternoon.  That evening, after Steven and his dad arranged things in the garage so I could park in there, we ate pumpkin and cherry crumble pie.  It was Paisley's first time eating pumpkin pie, and she insisted she would like it, since she'd heard so much about it at school.  Steven and I don't like pumpin pie, but Grandpa did, so we got some for Paisley and him to eat.  Paisley decided she was not a fan, except for the whipped cream on top.  Riley liked it though, so at least 2 people ended up eating some. Grandpa was leaving on Monday, so we kept Paisley home from school. When we took Grandpa to the airport, Paisley cried a bunch but she perked up a little bit when we got her a chocolate muffin.  ;)  Now we're focusing on cleaning out the basement and taking down shelves and stuff.  This weekend, we'll have someone come clean the carpets and a maid service will clean on the first.  Unpacking is going well, since I had brought some small loads over throughout the last few weeks and put things away as bet as I could.

The day we moved in to our new house, I was asked if I would help with the church Christmas party decorations.  I have a few ideas, which I've started experimenting with.  I've already decided to change some of the colors.

You know, I have kind of felt out of sorts with my blog for a while.  I've contemplated lots of different options.  But I think it'd be best if I went back to where I started.  Which means more crafts, DIYs, and projects.  And more family posts.  I always make the excuse that I don't post more about my family because Riley has an extreme aversion to cameras (which he does), but it makes me sad that I don't have more stuff about him and Paisley.  I'm sure I'll still be doing outfits, since I think they're fun.  I have a bunch of crafty things planned for the holidays and lots of crafts I've been putting off.

PS- I never did a real "This is what I'm thankful for" type post.  Which obviously includes my family more than anything, a place to live, warmth, food, clothes, etc.  We have many, many blessings.  There is no doubt about that.  With the purchase of our new TV, it makes me especially grateful that we have enough to spare to be able to buy one.  It was an unexpected purchase, but I'm happy we don't have to go into debt for it.  We haven't had credit cards for over 5 years, and I'm thankful for that too.  A few times a year, I wish we had one (for building my credit, so I can buy a new car next year), but I'm so thankful Steven says no. Plus, I think it's fun to say that we own both of our cars outright.  I think it's dangerous to have credit cards.  I would be too tempted.  I go kind of crazy sometimes with buying, but  I always save up my spending money if I think I'd rather have a big shopping trip.  In my opinion, it's better to do that, than have a big credit card statement waiting in the mail for me.  We have lots of exciting things planned for 2013, and I'd hate to ruin them by having a credit card.  There have been a few times where we've had to cancel trips or some fun things because of unexpected expenses (like root canals, buying heaters for a crappy house [while we were waiting for a propane tank to be installed; ours was stolen], a broken rim which resulted in buying 4 new rims and 4 new tires, ER visits, and Steven missing more work than we had planned.)  I love when I can talk with friends (on twitter/instagram/IRL) about how much happier we are without credit cards.  Anyway, enough about that.  Seriously though, if you're able to be in a place where you can get rid of your credit cards, it would be a really great goal/resolution for this next year.  In no way am I trying to brag or preach on this matter.  I just think it's been a blessing too, just like people seem blessed who work out/exercise, those who eat organic, or those who have their friends and family close by.  I definitely get jealous of people who have a great support system.  But we're meant to live here.  With recent concerns about Riley, it's wonderful that we have so many great hospitals near us.  I'm grateful for that too.  It will be a huge help when we have some answers.

Now, time to get unpacking!  I need to find my camera.  I'm getting kind of sick of phone pictures. ;) I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with wonderful people and food!

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

Newer Posts → ← Older Posts

×
×